Background Check Report Dispute

Background Screening Candidates Information

  • The employer who requested the report cannot change the report information.
  • Information in your report comes directly from public records.
  • If the public record is incorrect we cannot change this and you will need to contact the public agency.

If you wish to dispute the report, or have other questions for us please review the information below and follow the necessary steps!

Candidate information for background check reports

To perform an employment background check report, we obtain information from public records. If you believe that the public record itself is incorrect, you will need to contact the public agency to seek a correction, since we cannot correct this for you.

If you believe that our background check report incorrectly states what the public records show or that our report incorrectly states anything other than a public record, you can have us re-investigate our report by filling out and returning our Dispute Resolution form below or by contacting our Consumer Relations Department by telephone at (888) 252-5561 or by fax at (916) 226-2552.

We do not make decisions for anyone based on our reports. For example, we do not make employers’ hiring decisions. If you believe that a report we provided to someone was correct, but disagree with the hiring decision being made based on it, you will need to contact the person who used the report to make this decision.

Required steps for submitting a report dispute

Before submitting a dispute you should review a current copy of your HireSafe report (less than 60 days old) containing the information that you would like to dispute.

So that HireSafe can process your request in a timely manner, please gather all pertinent information regarding your dispute prior to submission. This helps ensure that you are disputing information currently maintained by HireSafe. If you do not have a current copy of the report, please complete the report request form available for download at the bottom of the page or by contacting our Consumer Relations team at (888) 252-5561.

HireSafe will provide the results of the reinvestigation to the current address you provided via US Mail or online if available. Pursuant to the FCRA, the dispute reinvestigation process may take up to 30 days from the date HireSafe receives your completed. If you have any questions regarding this form or process, contact our Consumer Relations Department at (888) 252-5561. If HireSafe determines additional information is needed in order to process your dispute, HireSafe will attempt to contact you using the contact information that you provide.

In order to process your request in a timely manner, please closely review all instructions below, provide all information requested and then submit this form to HireSafe. You should also review the document A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act which further explains your rights.

HireSafe Online Candidate Dispute Form

  • Online HireSafe Background Check Dispute

  • General Information

  • Date Format: MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • Current Address (If less than 6 months at current address, please provide a previous address)

  • Contact Information

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Talk with a Screening Specialist!

Enter your information below and a screening specialist will call you as soon as possible.

  • Our office is open week days 9-5 Pacific Time. Call backs requested ASAP are usually made within one hour of form submission during those hours.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.